When I first gave up drinking dairy milk, I switched over to store bought nut milks. While there are many healthy options available, I soon learned just how easy it is to make these milks at home. I was excited by this as I love to cook and wanted to have control over what is actually in my milk. As an added bonus, I am never without fresh delicious nut milks to use in my smoothies and/or meals. When you find out just how simple it is to make, I believe you will join me in whipping up a fresh batch.
Things you need to have on hand to make fresh nut milks at home are nuts (any type you wish to use), cheesecloth or what I bought – a nut milk bag (to strain the milk) and glass jars (to store milk).
My favorite recipe:
Cashew Nut Milk (My favorite nut milk)
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 3cups filtered water, plus more for soaking cashews
- one whole pitted date
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water (I use filtered water to soak)
- Soak cashews for at least 4 hours (overnight is best)
- Strain the cashews and add to your blender, along with the date and vanilla
- Slowly add clean filtered water to your blender and blend until you reach desired consistency. I like mine creamy, so 3 cups works. If you like yours thinner, just add a little more water until it’s the consistency you want.
- Strain the milk through a nut bag, or cheese cloth into your glass jar. (You can actually eat the strained creamy thick paste if you wish. It’s a healthy, tasty snack. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and add some fruit.)
- Store milk in refrigerator in your glass jar for up to 3 days.
This recipe can be used with any nut. I’ve tried almond, pecan and cashew. Cashew is my personal favorite, but they’ve all been delicious. I use whatever nut I have in the house at the moment I want milk. My daughter has now switched over as well and loves using this in her macaroni and cheese recipe.
Here’s the supplies I use:
Pro Quality Nut Milk Bag – Big 12″X12″ Commercial Grade – Reusable Almond Milk Bag & All Purpose Food Strainer – Fine Mesh Nylon Cheesecloth & Cold Brew Coffee Filter – Free Recipes & Videos (1)
Libbey Glass Milk Bottle with Lid – 33.5 oz
I am a huge fan of simple, easy cooking. I was surprised and excited when I learned how easy making nut milk at home was. I’m hoping you’ll try it. Let me know how you like it!