My obsession with coffee quickly led to rapid weight gain. Of course, I fell in love with mocha lattes, the ultimate sugar and fat laden beverage. I was told by my friend to “go easy” on the stuff and of course I didn’t listen. It was just that good. Today I want to share an easy to make at home version of my favorite coffee shop latte. It’s worth the time to make because it’s super delicious.
I don’t drink these every day, but when the craving comes upon me I take a moment to make and savor this truly delicious, coffee shop worthy, latte. Coffee and chocolate, for me, are always a match made in heaven.
Skinny Mocha Latte
- 3 TBSP. good quality unsweetened cocoa
- 2 TBSP. coconut sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup skim milk
Boil some water. Keep warm while you make the latte. Have 2 8-ounce coffee mugs standing by
1. Place everything except the vanilla in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, until mixture thickens
2. Add vanilla and whisk to combine
3. Make the latte: If you have an espresso maker, brew one shot. If you don’t have one, just brew a couple of cups of strong coffee. Place espresso or brewed coffee in an 8-ounce mug and add 2 TBSP. of the mocha syrup. Stir until the mocha syrup is well incorporated. add 2-4 TBSP. of boiling water (depending on how strong you like your coffee) and set aside
4. Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat, just until is starts to simmer
5. Pour equal amounts of the milk into each mug, stir well to combine. YUM!
Recipe shared by thereciperedux.com
If you want to get fancy and froth your milk it’s super easy to do and for me worth the extra step. I use a hand held frother for this recipe.
If you decide to make espresso, in place of strong coffee, there’s a simple press that I use. I just don’t have the room for an espresso machine, though I do longingly admire them. As an added bonus, this press is portable so you can have a quick cup of latte at work too. So easy to use and clean!
Another option for frothing is to just pour your mixture in a high powered blender, such as Vitamix and whip it up. I prefer the handheld option to this though as it’s so much easier to clean up after leaving more time to sip and savor your coffee.
I hope you give this delicious treat a try. Let me know how you like it!