I am a recent coleslaw lover much to the surprise of my husband who has spent 34 years hearing me say otherwise. He’s feeling sad thinking that when we go to a diner I will no longer give him my share of it. He really shouldn’t worry though because I won’t be indulging in a mayonnaise laden version of this staple side dish anytime soon. I have tested a few healthier, lighter versions and found one that I’m especially loving so I’ll be eating my coleslaw right here in my home.
My first taste of coleslaw came recently at a dinner out. It was on top of a pulled pork slider and man was I sold on it after the first bite. I haven’t tried the pulled pork recipe hunt yet, but quickly got after a coleslaw recipe I’d enjoy. Here’s what I’ve settled on for now. Spicy, tangy and crunchy while reducing some of the mayonnaise fat. I served it last night on top of some grilled chicken and boy was it a hit around here.
Spicy Coleslaw Recipe
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (I used green already shredded organic coleslaw mix)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 6 oz cottage cheese (I used goat cottage)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup coconut sugar ( I guess this could be optional but I used it)
- Optional – add sprinkle of hot sauce (I didn’t but I will next time!)
- Mix the cottage cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, cayenne pepper, vinegar, sugar until combined well.
- Begin to add the shredded cabbage until well coated.
- Chill covered for at least 2 hours.
I have some leftover right now in my refrigerator and can’t wait for lunch to crunch on some. If you try this recipe, or have a version of coleslaw to share, please post it in the comments below.
Ingredients used in this recipe –
I have to hide this from my husband who puts it on everything!
Healthier option for recipes that call for sugar. It is still sugar and should be used sparingly, but it does have a lower glycemic index.