I am a recent coleslaw lover much to the surprise of my husband who has spent 34 years hearing me say otherwise. He’s feeling sad thinking that when we go to a diner I will no longer give him my share of it. He really shouldn’t worry though because I won’t be indulging in a mayonnaise laden version of this staple side dish anytime soon. I have tested a few healthier, lighter versions and found one that I’m especially loving so I’ll be eating my coleslaw right here in my home.
My first taste of coleslaw came recently at a dinner out. It was on top of a pulled pork slider and man was I sold on it after the first bite. I haven’t tried the pulled pork recipe hunt yet, but quickly got after a coleslaw recipe I’d enjoy. Here’s what I’ve settled on for now. Spicy, tangy and crunchy while reducing some of the mayonnaise fat. I served it last night on top of some grilled chicken and boy was it a hit around here.
Spicy Coleslaw Recipe
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (I used green already shredded organic coleslaw mix)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 6 oz cottage cheese (I used goat cottage)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup coconut sugar ( I guess this could be optional but I used it)
- Optional – add sprinkle of hot sauce (I didn’t but I will next time!)
- Mix the cottage cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, cayenne pepper, vinegar, sugar until combined well.
- Begin to add the shredded cabbage until well coated.
- Chill covered for at least 2 hours.
I have some leftover right now in my refrigerator and can’t wait for lunch to crunch on some. If you try this recipe, or have a version of coleslaw to share, please post it in the comments below.
Ingredients used in this recipe –
Natural Value Organic Sriracha Chili Sauce, 18 Ounce
I have to hide this from my husband who puts it on everything!
NOW Foods Organic Coconut Sugar,16-Ounce
Healthier option for recipes that call for sugar. It is still sugar and should be used sparingly, but it does have a lower glycemic index.